April – October: Daily
10:00 am – 7:00 pm
November – March:
(+351) 223 746 660
Largo da Ponte D. Luiz
4400-111 Vila Nova de Gaia
In 1730, Henry Burmester and John Nash founded Burmester & Nash in London, a cereal trading company. They moved to Vila Nova de Gaia and in 1750 began shipping port wine to the British Isles and the rest of Europe. The family name originates from the German word ‘Burgmeester’, meaning ‘mayor’ – as the family came from the small north Germany city of Moelln.
The firm was dissolved at the end of the 18th century, when Henry Burmester Jr. and his two sons, Fredrick and Edward, set up a new port wine company, H.Burmester & Sons.
In the end of the millenium, Amorim Group acquires BURMESTER being recently acquired by Sogevinus SGPS, S. A. Group. Having a larger scope through a wide range of wines available to their clients, the Sogevinus Group is prepared to rapidly answer to the market demands.
(Article and photos courtesy of sogevinus.com)